Monday, July 22, 2013

Gym membership: Endless pitches

I received a call yesterday about winning a prize. Got super excited because I do enter contests on a regular basis. They are usually low hanging fruits but not crap. This one was very different. Opportunity cost was HUGE on my part, for the reward.

Located at Broadway & Arbutus, it takes me around 30 minutes to commute. When I got there, the receptionist asked me to wait for the girl (let's call her Mary) who called me. During the wait I filled out a "sign-in" sheet and a "welcome" sheet. Basically they are to gather potential customer's information for extensive marketing purposes. After around 30 minutes of staring at people working out, Mary came and start the conversation.

Like all sales people, they start off with a nice, find a "common interest" talk. Then they start introducing member's pricing, classes which required additional cost, and personal trainers with promising results. After the pitch, we set down to do the papers.

As someone who's very skeptical about gym membership, I reserve to give her my credit card information. Insisted that I want to try it out first before committing to any paid membership. They say the promotion offers a $10 off for joined fee & monthly fee, ends tomorrow. Wow, really?

I gotta say: The A/C and infinite-sized mirror in the women's washroom was quite an experience.

I left the place with this.


You don't have to "win" it. Basically, you can just hit up any gym and say: I want to try it out. Local residents only. 

From own experience: Vancouver is filled with beautiful seawall, beaches, parks and etc.
You don't need to pay to enjoy the amazing view & facilities, why put money into artificial setting?

No comments:

Post a Comment