Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Donating Blood is not as scary, it’s beautiful.




I regularly receive calls from the Canadian Blood Services asking if I wanted to donate blood. With the end of final exams and a short relaxing break before summer semester, why not? The last blood donation was very unpleasant, a nurse in training was poking the big needle several times before seeing my vein. My arm was getting numb at that point, and she asked if I want to try it in my dominant hand. Woman, you should go back to nursing school and do more practicum! I’ve been told by nursing friends and the like that I have visible veins.

During the leisure time, I play beach volleyball on a regular basis so the blood flows in my arms are fairly smooth.

This visit was the best one so far. The nurse was very easygoing and we got sidetracked talking about fashion and weather, while going through the questionnaire. Another nurse who inserted the needle in my arm was very professional and quick, the donation process took roughly 5 minutes and it was done! During  that time we had a conversation on blood types and antigens. She even gave me a sheet for reference. I brought a magazine which I didn't end up reading, definitely faster than a visit to the doctor's!

Super nice lady.

Because I haven’t donated for a while, I felt a little tired after and rested for 20 minutes before taking the bus. Took a nice long nap as soon as I got home. Its the best thing to do after donating blood to replenish energy. 

After each blood donating, the donor has to wait 56 days before their next donation. The donation was on May 6th so my next one would be after Canada Day. Anyone wanna hit up the clinic with me? 

No comments:

Post a Comment